Friday, March 13, 2009

What is a woman?

Now, before you state the obvious think about it. Sure a woman is a human with the double X's right? Well yes. But we are so much more than that. Our society today looks at women very differently than it did 100 yrs ago...even 50 yrs ago. We are expected to be soft, but strong. Beautiful and yet natural. There are so many hats that we have to wear-wife, mom, student, daughter, sister, working woman, working mom, stay at home mom.

There is also what I would like to call 'sub-hats'. Roles within our role. For instance, if you're a stay at home mom then you are also cook, maid, nurse, taxi driver, teacher, etc. If you work outside the home then your are probably all that plus whatever your job entails you to do.

Now, before you say 'whats your point Amy? Why am I wasting my 2 mins reading this?" I want to think about all those roles we have to fill. How tough are they? How easy is it to strive to be superwoman? How disheartening to realize you aren't. Are you drowning, so to speak, in some of those roles? I know I have felt like I was drowning a few times....once I was afraid I wouldn't come back to the surface.

My point is, being a woman is hard work. In lifegroup we are studying Esther by Beth Moore. I have been doing my 'homework' and the thought that has stayed on my brain is that no matter the year, no matter the society, no matter the station in life, it's tough to be us! AND it will always be tough...but we don't have to be superwoman.

It's hard for me to admit I can't do something...but yet so freeing when I finally do. It's like Jesus pours the balm on my wounds when I finally let go and give it to Him. It's what saved me from my virtual 'drowning' a few months back.

Why did I write this note? Who knows, maybe I'm feeling sentimental and emotional, lol. Maybe I was bored. Or maybe there's someone out there who is drowning and can relate.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope everyone has a wonderful (dry) weekend!!! Love you all!!!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Good words, Amy!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was very inspirational! I love it. And I feel the same way. So many responsibilities...add the "homeschool teacher" hat and you get another full time job. I also know, however, that our husbands have just as much responsibility on their shoulders--we can't forget that they have to make sure the financial future of their kids--and grandkids--are secure. They will still be working long after the toddlers and grown and our jobs as mommies get a little easier. I think, in a nutshell, it's just plain hard to be a parent. But completely worth it! Good post.